Functions, Benefits, Sources & Examples – Viral35.com
– #Functions #Benefits #Sources #Examples #Viral35.com
Viral35.com – Do you know the definition of politeness norms? Rules are something that every country or group has to implement. This is done so that one’s life can be controlled properly and has a clear direction.
Norms are rules that apply to human behavior that contain certain orders, prohibitions, and sanctions.
Therefore, norms are guidelines, regularities, and controls of behavior that are appropriate and acceptable. There are various norms, ranging from religious norms, moral norms, legal norms, and politeness norms.
Talking about politeness norms is of course a question for many people, what exactly are politeness norms? The following is an understanding of the norms of decency that you should know.
Definition of Polite Norms
The definition of politeness norms is a set of rules regarding the level of behavior originating from culture, customs, or traditions in an area that develops in community member associations and is considered as a guide in interacting with other people.
Politeness norms are relative because each environment, place and time has its own category of politeness norms. In accordance with the definition of decency norms above, these norms must be applied to obtain order in society.
Polite is very necessary and important to be a culture that must be owned, both in society and in organizations. Without manners or more commonly called work ethic, it can cause disputes between members of the organization.
Functions of decency norms
Referring to the description above, this norm has a useful function for social order. The following are some of the functions of the norms of decency:
- Serve as rules, guidelines, and procedures for behavior in a group of people
- Serves as a guide in imposing sanctions on those who violate this norm
- Serves to create harmonious groups of people so that a sense of comfort and peace can be achieved in society
Benefits of the Norm of decency
The existence of politeness norms certainly provides its own benefits. People become more able to respect each other so as to create a safe and peaceful community life. Benefits of politeness norms for yourself:
- If we apply or comply with the norms of politeness, then that person will be seen as someone who is polite and deserves respect as well.
- By being polite and courteous, one can avoid danger, starting from the disturbance of people and the absence of enemies in society.
- Have a lot of friends in the group and more appreciated by people too.
Benefits of politeness norms for others:
- When someone behaves well in a group, then that person will be an example for others.
- Being close to people who have good attitudes and behavior will make other people comfortable.
Characteristics of the Norm of Politeness
Based on the understanding of politeness norms above, there are several characteristics that distinguish politeness norms from other norms, namely:
- The norms of decency originate from associations or relationships between members of society
- Politeness norms are local or regional, they don’t apply anywhere else
- Violators of decency norms are given sanctions in the form of reproach, criticism, or even ostracism from the local community.
Source of Polite Norms
The norms that emerge and are held by the community itself to regulate relationships so that each member of the community respects mutual respect.
The consequences of violating this norm are criticized by others, because the source of this norm is the trust of the community concerned.
The essence of the norms of decency is decency, propriety, or the habits that apply in society. The norms of decency are often called manners, manners or customs.
Politeness norms do not apply to all people in the world, but are specific and local (regional) and only apply to certain groups of people. What is considered polite to one group of people may not be to another.
Examples of Politeness Norms in a Public Environment
The following are some examples of politeness norms that often apply in various places, namely:
- Throw garbage in its place
- Eat with your right hand
- Say good words and don’t be rude to others
- Greet / greet others as a form of hospitality
- Honor and respect parents
- Provide seats on public transport for the elderly and pregnant women
Examples of Norms of Decency in the Work Environment
In accordance with the explanation above, politeness norms can be implemented simply in a work environment such as:
1. Respect elders
If you are a young manager and have employees who are older than you, you should still be polite when interacting with that person.
For example, when you accidentally meet, bend a little as a form of respect even though your position is higher than theirs. Because the norms of decency know more about age than position.
Politeness has a wide scope. This kind of attitude is actually difficult when giving written rules on paper, so it requires personal awareness from the parties involved.
For example, during a work meeting, make it a habit not to interrupt one another’s conversations if that person hasn’t finished talking. Apart from that, it can also be shown in the attitude of not taking anything at a friend’s desk without the knowledge and permission of your colleagues.
3. Keeping the work environment clean
Even though in companies usually there are special employees to clean the office, you must have awareness to jointly maintain cleanliness in the work environment. At least by getting used to throwing trash in its place.
4. Don’t talk or laugh too loudly
The office is a place to work and a place that requires a high level of concentration to be able to complete work.
Therefore, a manager must give rules to workers not to talk or laugh too loudly, because it can disturb fellow co-workers.
Especially if this was done by a younger worker to an older worker, it would be considered impolite. Even though it’s trivial, if this is left alone it will create a bad image for the company if it gets visits from clients or consumers at any time.
5. Don’t talk bad about each other at work
A manager has the right to make rules to prohibit employees from discussing things that are not related to work, let alone “gossiping”.
This aims to avoid unfinished work because employees talk too much about other people. Managers can counteract this by asking employees to be open about problems with other employees.
Thus the Lesson on the Definition of Politeness Norms: Functions, Benefits, Characteristics, Sources & Examples, which we can convey, hopefully, can be useful for all of you. Thank you for studying with us and see you in our next article.
Stay Connected with Viral35.com For more updates. Thank You For Visiting